Monday, December 29, 2008

CHOEGAL... and how i missed it



So David Choe dropped this wooden toy on the 23rd at the LA Giant Robot store.

Pretty awesome right?

But I flew out to Beijing that morning. Bummer.

It's going for about $50 on ebay right now... what do you think? I've also got an appartment full of useless/cool collectables I've accumulated over the past 8 years. I even have a Barbie in a wheelchair - Becky the School Photographer.



I did however get one of these in the mail. it's not the actual screenprint, but rather just one of the 18x24 Choebama posters David's brother Jimmy went around the country posting up pre-election.



Not bad, it was only $25. Unfortunately it won't be worth much in the future... but that isn't why I got it. I don't really even care about politics or Obama, but I think it's an awesome illustration that kicks the shit out of Shepard Fairey's design.

On a side note:
I personally think it's retarded they sell those shirts for $38.00 at places like Urban Outfitters... to me it makes the election seem like a joke, and who gives a fuck who you vote for? Maybe I'm getting old and judgemental but why do I care if a bunch of 18 year old kids decked out in overpriced 'streetwear' are wearing a presidential candidate's face on their chest?!?!

it's no different than wearing this shirt (also sold at Urban Outfitters), equally ridiculous.

...and what are you going to do with those shirts after the election? you'll have to wait another 15-20 years till they'll have a 'vintage' cool factor to them. In the words of the great Erik Brunetti (founder/designer for Fuct), "it's (streetwear) all just so disposable."

and if you're offended, well fuck you 'cause I didn't vote either.

I'm also Canadian.

No comments: