Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dilla Month: "Time: Donut of the Heart"



Three years after the death of legendary producer... blah blah blah.

He's great, I just don't think I really need to write an intro. You should already know... apparently Shepard Fairey does too.

Anyway, I didn't think I'd write a post on this subject, 'cause there are so many other posts and parties going on honoring his memory this month, but I found these two videos today on this post that relate to my favorite beat off Donuts: "Time: Donut of the Heart"



If you've been lucky enough to have gotten a mix CD from me in the past 3 years this song was probrably on it. Today while poking around on Pitchfork, and reading about the new Dilla compilation coming out, I found this blog. It's 'Dilla' month and since there were 31 tracks on Donuts, every day a few bloggers break down each song SUPER nerd steez in: what it means to them, the history of the track, the sample, etc.

Here's what I found out:

1. I never knew where the break for this song came from.



Jackson Five - "All I Do is Think of You"

2. I never knew this song was about sex... I mean I guess I could see it now with all the moan-y vocal samples, but I just thought it was a great touch and a great way to pull the song together.

3. I never noticed how often he switches up the tempo in the song. Well I mean of course I did, but I never knew it was such a 'revolutionary' thing to do in a song.

4. I never thought a Korean indie band would cover this song!?! Brilliant!



Bulssazo - "Time: Donut of the Heart"

They also do a shoegaze cover/remix of Common - "The Light" (produced by J.Dilla). Peep the myspace.

RIP to James Yancey.

No comments: