Saturday, June 14, 2008

First Post

So i am writing in this again, due to the request of one person: Laura Kumataka.  After a brief late night AIM session, I forgot how important it is to record your day to day thoughts even if you are a terrible writer and only one person is going to read it. But however, here is my first entry in 2 years:

PERSEPOLIS (France, 2007)

I've been dying to see this movie for a long time... since about December/January when it premiered in the United States. I made the mistake of going to the wrong theater, so I never saw it due to it being a very limited release.

I had an opportunity once again while in China, but the only bootleg version I could find only had Chinese subtitles. The movie is done entirely in French.

I've seen a few foreign films without subtitles and although reading takes away from the visual sensation of the movie, it's better to understand what the characters are saying than to be confused in the visual splendor. I'm still trying to find a copy of Summer Palace that has English subtitles.

I'm only halfway into the film (yes, I downloaded it) and I think it's absolutely incredible. I don't watch Pixar or Disney cartoons. I love the way it's done and I recommend it to anyone!


I hope to finish watching it tonight. Check it out, or ask me to send it to you.

* I would also like to say that I absolutely deserve to watch a bootlegged version of this movie. I did make a valient effort to try to see it in two countries. I may also buy this dvd and the book because I am in love with the art direction and animation!

No comments: